Saturday, May 4, 2013

Pain meds

Good Saturday Morning!

I apologize for not posting recently. My hubby has been having some health issues of his own and I've been having job issues. But anyway, I'm back!

Today I am going to post the formula for my RA pain medicine. Keeping in mind that with most herbs it takes time to get their full benefit, I have to say that even from the first dose it seems to be toning down the aches and pains. Also, it is getting better day by day. So here it is:

Equal parts
Valerian
Jamaican Dogwood
Passionflower.
I mascerated this in vodka for 21 days. The taste is not quite as harsh as the tinctures mascerated in the 190 proof grain alcohol, but it's still not good (add a little honey if you just can't stand the taste). You SHOULD NOT water this down. Let it mascerate for 21 days, at least, shaking it once a day. By the end of 3 weeks the herbs should look pale and spent. I strain mine through a regular mesh strainer first then through a coffee filter, which can sometimes take a while, but you will see what it filters out when it's done. You can also use cheesecloth, if you prefer. I have found that a coffee filter traps more than cheesecloth. Like a good wine or fine liquor, it gets better with age!

I made my doctor's visit Tuesday and we discussed my blood tests. I have always been a seronegative RA patient and that hasn't changed. As I understand the prognosis for seronegatives, they will either (1 remain seronegative and have a greater chance of escaping the deformity of seropositive RA patients or (2 over time the seronegative will become seropositive. As I believe I've had this disease for a decade, maybe longer, I am hoping that I will remain seronegative. I know at some point in 2009 it showed up in my blood work, it hasn't since then and I know it didn't in 2002 when I was first tested for RA. So, I am saying my prognosis is better than most.

However, my GP wants me to go back to a rheumatologist. She believes I should be on NSAIDs, if not DMARDs. I agreed to go visit a new rheumatologist, if they would set it up and make sure the new rheumy has all the medical records she needs. If she is like the other rheumatologists I've seen one visit will be all she gets!

I'll bet you can guess now what my GP thought of my natural idea. She really does go along with some natural cures (or improvements), mostly a healthier diet. She is also the one who took me off the cholesterol lowering drug and told me to take fish oil. When it comes to RA or my other problem rapid heart rate/high blood pressure she believes in taking the drugs. For the bp/heart rate problem I will continue to take the meds she prescribed until I see that the new EFA/DHA oil from the naturopath and/or my homemade heart tincture is controlling the problem. Actually, I have seen some lowering of the blood pressure without the drugs, but not the heart rate.

My overall cholesterol is back in the 'good' range, but my bad cholesterol is still a little high (118). They want it under 100. It is on it's way down though. Last blood work it was 154, so she was happy and I know that one of the natural remedies is working!  :-)

I found another group on Facebook that claims to be for the RA patient. The link is below if anyone would like to visit them. I did and they seem to stick to their point and have some volunteer opportunities, too.
https://www.facebook.com/rheumatoidpatientfoundation?ref=stream

I would love to hear from some other seronegative RA people. Please respond in the comments section and we can compare our challenges.

Next time I will post my formula for peripheral neuropathy, nerve pain in hands and feet caused by the irritation and inflammation of RA or diabetes. My son will also be taking some of this for the nerve pain in his leg caused by deteriorating discs in his back. We'll prayerfully see if it helps him.

Until then, Peace, Love, and ((((Gentle Hugs)))) to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment